When was the first time you picked up a saucepan? Or a whisk? Believe it or not, some people hardly know what the inside of an oven looks like. They aren’t interested in cooking, feel that they “can’t cook” or they just eat out at restaurants – which means they don’t even need to cook.
But there will come a time in life when you are going to be called upon to put together something edible in the kitchen, and when that moment comes, you’ll not only want to put your best culinary foot forward… you’ll want to blow everyone away with your brilliance. And by this, we don’t mean the food has to arrive with foams and gels and powdered Nutella in crystal sugar cubes. It just has to be tasty and preferably look good enough to share on social media.
Here are 25 handy recipes everyone should be able to cook, with a decent amount of confidence, by the age of 25 (or 30 if we’re going to push it)
1. Lasagne – a real family favourite that you’ll be called upon to cook again and again. Worth memorising!
2. Potato salad – there are those that believe a braai isn’t a braai without a good ol’ potato salad.
3. Pizza dough – all you need now are the toppings!
5. French toast – good for holidays and special occasions like Valentine’s Day!
7. Roast chicken – this will always come in handy! Trust us.
8. Omelette – perfect for those fridge leftovers.
9. Pancakes – Pancakes are much more fun to make than you realise. You can call in recruits and have a bit of fun.
10. Cheese sauce – there are so many ways to use a good a cheese sauce.
11. Bangers and mash – a perfect go-to recipe for a winter’s night.
13. Chicken casserole – it’s actually a lot easier than it sounds. And very delicious.
14. Butternut soup – this couldn’t be easier to make!
15. choc chip cookies – perfect for a tea-time treat…or simply when you you just need a food hug.
17. Rusks – imagine a weekend away with your own homemade rusks to impress your friends.
18. Quiche – a little bit of technical know-how with the pastry base will see you through!
19. Spaghetti Bolognaise – the crowd-pleaser of all crowd-pleasers. Serve with heaps of grated Parmesan.
20. Vanilla cupcakes – you never know when you might be asked to supply some celebratory cupcakes.
21. Simple Carbonara – it speaks for itself really – break with tradition by adding mushrooms and bacon.
23. Malva Pudding – the ultimate Winter pud, with loads of creamy custard.
24. Peppermint Crisp tart – a national treasure and so easy to make.
25. Something low carb – because there’ll be at least one person in your friendship group who is Banting.
Go forth and cook!