Valentine ’s Day is in 2 weeks time – and we know that most of you couldn’t think of anything worse than a ‘romantic’ dinner in one of those awful cliché, cramped up and stuffy restaurants with nausea-inducing PDA’ing couples.
So we’ve given it some thought and come up with a few different ideas for Capetonians to celebrate V-day – which incidentally falls on a Saturday this year – plus we all know the weather in February is impeccable.
1. The Oranjezicht City Farm Market has moved to Zille Villa (The residence of the Western Cape Premier Helen Zille) – with its sprawling lawns, shaded by beautiful old trees, awesome Saturday morning market, and even a pool that is open to the public – this is a brilliant way to start the day. No alcohol is permitted – so just be aware of that.
2. The Stellenbosch wine valley (a mere 45 minute drive from Cape Town) is playing host to some really awesome picnic vibes this year. Think sunset picnic on the river at Delheim, a lawn picnic at Jordan and a forest picnic at Vergelegen are just a few on the awesome line-up.
3. A personal favourite of mine is The Pool Room at Oak Valley Wine Estate- such a romantic setting and perfect for this occasion – there is also heaps of accommodation in the beautiful Elgin area – an hour’s drive from Cape Town – make a night (or even a weekend!) of it.
4. The new look Ryan’s Kitchen is getting rave reviews – so it would be worth seeing what all the fuss is about.
5. Kloof Street in Cape Town is chock full of vibey restaurants – spacious, airy and just downright cool. Think Black Sheep (that a la carte menu is to die for), Café Paradiso’s outside terrace and view, Chalk & Cork for some delicious tapas and red wine outside.
6. That old favourite Massimo’s in Hout Bay is serving up a deliciously romantic meal with an Italian tenor providing some live music.
7. La Mouette in Sea Point – I can’t think of a more romantic courtyard with that beautiful fountain. Not to mention Chef Henry’s famous tasting menu. R495 including wine.
8. Steenberg Wine Estate – home to 2 beautiful restaurants - Bistro1682 could not be a more stunning setting for a sunset dinner – all that outdoor space and delicious estate wine! And don't forget Catharina's.
9. Carne SA have recently opened in Constantia – if you feel like a magnificent cut of meat and some good wine then treat yourself and your loved one to a very special steak. If you are in the CBD you can also try the Carne Bistro on Kloof Street.
10. Cape Point Vineyards – there are some very epic things going on there – from a new restaurant to amazing picnics with quite possibly the best view in the world. Well worth checking out.
11. A seafood lunch with chilled white wine at The Chapman’s Peak Hotel. You can’t book so it’s first come first serve – personally I love the prawn and calamari combo with a fresh Greek salad.
12. Tiger's Milk in Muizenberg – well we can’t hear enough about this really funky new hotspot . Definitely worth calling to see if they still have tables available.
13. The incredibly stylish and tasty Erawan Thai Restaurant has opened up in Bellville. If the reviews for the Wynberg branch are anything to go by –then the new branch will be an extremely popular choice.
14. The Company’s Garden Restaurant – it’s not open in the evening time – but a nice family lunch might be just what you feel like to celebrate love with your partner and cute offspring!
Whatever way you choose to celebrate love this year we wish you a good one!
- Cathrine Shone