1. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
2. Fry the onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic in oil until softened.
3. Add the cabbage and stir until well mixed.
4. Add the tomatoes and 1.25 litres (5 cups) of the boiling water.
5. Mix the remaining boiling water with the soup mix or onion soup powder and add to the soup, together with dried herbs.
6. Cover and boil for 30 minutes (if soup powder is used) or at least 60 minutes (if soup mix is used).
7. Serve instead if salad with light meals.
The soup will have an extra-delicious flavour if canned tomatoes flavoured with herbs are used. They are available in most supermarkets. This soup can be eaten as is, or it can be pureed to yield a thick vegetable soup. More water can be added if you want a thinner soup.