1. Grease six 10cm round, fluted, loose bottomed
pastry tins. Lightly whisk the
egg whites then stir in the coconut and
125ml (110g) of the castor sugar. Press
the mixture into the greased tins and
bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
or until golden.
2. While the bases are baking, beat the
butter until light. Add the remaining
castor sugar and beat for two minutes.
Sift the cornflour and cake flour, and
stir into the butter mixture until it comes
together to form a stiff dough.
3. Roll the dough out thinly on a lightly
floured surface and cut out 5 to 6cm
round or flower shapes. Place them on a
greased baking tray. Sprinkle with extra
castor sugar, place in the oven alongside
the bases and bake until golden.
4. Remove the bases and biscuits from
the oven and set aside to cool.
5. Just before serving, mix the brandy
into the jam, if you are using it, and fill
each coconut case with jam. Top with a
scoop of vanilla ice cream and a biscuit.