1. Make the trifle in a large glass bowl that can
accommodate approximately two litres. Cut the
biscuits in half and set aside. Decant the sherry
into a small bowl.
2. Briefly dip the biscuits in the sherry one
by one, taking care not to soak them. Then
arrange them on the bottom of the bowl.
Start from the centre and work outwards to
form a star.
3. Use a teaspoon (a tablespoon is too large)
to alternate small dollops of cream, custard
and jelly to form a layer on top of the biscuits.
The smaller the dollops, the better. Sprinkle
with the pecan nuts and cherries, and dot with
4. Repeat the layers, ending with a custard-
cream-jelly layer, topped with pecan nuts.
5. Refrigerate overnight before serving.