1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Roast 500 g lamb or beef bones with sliced carrots, onion and celery and a bulb of garlic until brown and caramelized (+- 45 min - 1 hour). Add a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme.
2. Add 2 L water or good quality prepared stock (Nomu lamb or beef concentrate) and roast in the oven for +- 30 minutes.
3. Strain the stock from the veggies and bones. Squash the soft cloves out of the garlic bulb and mash into the stock.
4. Place stock into a deep pan and reduce by simmering uncovered for +- 25 minutes. This concentrates the flavour.
5. If needed, make a paste with 2-5 ml corn flour and whisk into the reduced stock over the heat until thickened to desired consistency. Season to taste.
6. In the end you will be left with 500 ml of awesome gravy!
For chicken gravy: Roast 6 wings or chicken necks with sliced carrots, onion and celery and a bulb of garlic and brown and caramelized.
Continue with step 2 – 5.
Reprinted with permission of Bits of Carey. To see more
recipes, click here.