1. Grease a rectangular 25 x 35cm cake tin or ovenproof dish with 25ml of the
butter. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the base of the tin and set aside.
2. Pour the yoghurt into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs, lemon zest
and 200g of the sugar. Add the rest of the butter to the yoghurt mixture and stir
until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Mix the baking powder and semolina, and stir into the yoghurt mixture. Spoon
the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes,
or until set.
4. Meanwhile, pour 750ml water into a saucepan and add the remaining sugar. Bring to the boil, then boil rapidly, uncovered for five minutes. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and rose-water.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for two minutes, then gradually pour the syrup over the cake, allowing it to soak in. Leave to cool before cutting into squares. Decorate each square with rose petals.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.