1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease a 25cm wide, deep ring
2. Separate the eggs. Place yolks into a small jug and set
aside. Place whites in a large mixing bowl and beat with the
cream-of-tartar until stiff. Gradually beat in the first measure
of castor sugar, until stiff and glossy.
3. Sift the flour, the second measure of castor sugar, the
baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
4. Make a hollow and add the egg yolks, oil, orange juice
and orange rind. Beat until smooth, but do not over-mix.
5. Pour egg yolk mixture onto egg whites and gently fold in.
6. Reduce oven heat to 160°C. Pour mixture into cake tin
and bake for about 50 minutes, or until cake is golden and
fi rm and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. Turn tin over carefully and place cake gently on a rack.
When completely cool, loosen the sides with a spatula from
the base and funnel. Turn out onto a wire a rack.
8. Decorate with cherries and sugar flowers.