1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Grease and line two 23cm
loose-bottomed cake tins.
2. For base: Cream together butter and sugar and add
egg yolks, one at a time. Beat until light and fluffy.
3. Sift dry ingredients together and add, alternately with
milk, to the mixture.
4. Divide batter between prepared cake tins.
5. For meringue: Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream-
of-tartar and continue to beat. Gradually add sugar and
beat until soft peaks form. Spread meringue over the
uncooked cake batter.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until meringue is golden.
Allow to cool in tins before removing to cool further.
7. To assemble: Place one cake layer, meringue side up,
on a serving plate. Spread with cream or custard and top
with the remaining cake layer, meringue side up.
8. Serve this cake on the day of baking, as it will begin to
soften after it's been assembled.