1. Preheat the oven. Grease a 24cm tube pan and sift cake flour into it. Shake out the excess flour.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon peel until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one by one and beat well after every addition.
4. Stir the figs and walnuts into the mixture and use a metal spoon to fold in small amounts of the self-raising flour, alternating with milk, until smooth.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about an hour. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before turning it out and pouring the syrup over.
6. Make the syrup: Pour all the syrup ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the castor sugar has dissolved. Bring to boiling point and pour over the cake. Allow to cool and serve.
24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.