Oven temperature: 200°C.
1. Roll out the pastry and line a 24cm
Chill it in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
2. Drain the cherries well, blotting any
excess moisture with paper towels.
3. Beat the butter and castor sugar until
pale and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs.
Add the almonds, flour and almond essence, and mix in well.
4. Spread the almond mixture into
the unbaked pastry shell.
cherries on top and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven, then reduce the oven temperature to 160°C and bake for about another 45 minutes, or until set.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pie dish.
5. Reheat just before serving and dust
generously with icing sugar.