For The Salad
- 2 handfuls sourdough or similar bread, torn into rough chunks
- 4 tbsp (60ml) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts with skin
For The Dressing
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 4 to 6 anchovies
- 2 egg yolks
- juice of 1/2 lemon – or about 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 tbsp finely grated Parmesan or Grana Padano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 80ml sunflower or canola oil
- 100g Parmesan or Grana Padano shavings
- 2 whole baby gem or cos lettuces
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Toss the torn bread in olive oil, seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 10 to 15 minutes until crispy and toasted.
2 Rub the chicken breasts with a swig of olive oil and heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down. Cook for 4 minutes, then turn and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes on the other side. Check if it’s cooked through by inserting a sharp knife, the juices of the chicken should run clear.
3 Prepare The Dressing Blitz together the garlic, anchovies and egg yolks in a blender. Add the lemon juice, Dijon and Parmesan. Slowly add the oil, pouring in a steady stream, until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
4 Separate lettuce leaves or simply cut lettuce in half. Wash and dry thoroughly. Place on a board or plate, along with the torn crispy sourdough and fried chicken. Garnish with micro herbs or any herbs you like, and serve with the dressing.
Text and image: Zonnebloem