Food of the Gods! This magical stone fruit has been around for centuries and is believed by many cultures to symbolise fertility, abundance and protection. In South Africa there are a number of peach varieties to look out for:
- San Pedro
When buying peaches, I always choose ones with a smooth, firm and brightly coloured outer skin that is slightly soft when you give it a squeeze. These are ripe and are ideal for popping in your trolley. If you find yourself with a surplus of pretty peaches, fear not. Below are some great recipe ideas to prevent "peach boredom" in your home.
1. Summer peaches with honey - simple and sublime. Warm peaches dripping with sweet honey and topped with a dollop of thick and creamy crème fraîche. Heaven in a bowl.
2. Roast chicken and grilled peach salad - a light meal for those balmy Summer evenings. Pair it with a glass of chilled fruity white wine for a cheeky weekday indulgence.
3. Peach, Parma ham and chevin salad - salty, sweet and tangy flavours have a little dance-off in your mouth.
Perfect for an easy-to-make starter when you're entertaining
4. Haloumi wraps with curried peach chutney - these are great to take on a picnic!
5. Gooey peach and custard cake - The ultimate cheat to any New Year's detox plan.
6. Peach Malva - because who can forget such a classic!
- Tessa Purdon