I’m sure I’m not the only one who is glowing with happiness now that avo season is here! For those of you who also live on this rich gorgeous green superfood, you’ll be able to empathize with the fact that we don’t have to spend half our monthly income on a small pack of 4 – just to get your weekly fix.
It’s been a tough few months for the avo-loving fraternity but thankfully with the onset of Winter – we can expect to pay a lot less for them (well, that’s what one would hope anyway). I’ll be going to a lunch next week with the people from the SA Avocado Growers’ Association where I hope to glean all the info for you regarding the whole avo price dispute – and find out what we can expect from the avos this this year. Which varieties are best to buy? Ripening periods for each? consumer behaviour? (I have no doubt that the low carb high fat eating style has made a substantial impact on sales).
Now – the one thing that I’m sure everyone who has bought avos will agree with, is the annoying incidence when a) all the avos are rock hard or b) when all the avos are ripe and ready all at once (in an ideal world, they would all ripen beautifully one at a time, right?). I’ve been that person before who has eaten avo on toast for a few days in a row and there’s nothing wrong with it. But if you are looking for other – perhaps more interesting ideas of what you can do with them, read on!
I know for some, the idea of eating avo in anything BUT a salad is too outlandish but I really encourage you to give some of these recipes a try!
1. Avocado and berry smoothie – the avo lends a wonderfully creamy texture (in fact you could pop it into any smoothie because it has quite a neutral flavour when added to other foods).
2. Low carb avocado and coconut bread – great for those who are Banting!
3. Steak with avocado salsa and an Asian dressing – perfect for a light meal of protein and healthy fats.
4. Raw chocolate mousse – this recipe is a real hit with vegans because it tastes just like the real thing but without dairy or eggs! The best part? No one will even guess that there is avocado in it!
5. Baby marrow noodles with avocado pesto – a genius recipe that can be switched up by using regular pasta.
6. Eggs in bacon-wrapped avocado nests – another brilliant Banting meal. Breakfast for the win!
Lastly – don’t forget the good ol’ guacamole.
Be sure to keep an eye on Food24 in the next couple of weeks as we’ll be bringing you more fun how-to recipes to keep you busy with those ripe and ready-to-eat avocados in your kitchen. Hooray for avo season!
- Tessa Purdon