You would think that the popularity of the potato would have gone down a bit considering the current cult status of the Banting diet, which strictly forbids the popular vegetable. But it hasn't. The good old potato is going strong and people are still loving fries with their burgers and potato bakes with their braais.
I went to a very interesting lunch the other day where I was introduced to Avalanche potatoes - from the TurberTek group. The representative from TuberTek assured us the popularity of the potato has not been affected by the Banting diet craze.
Avalanche potatoes are white-fleshed, have a longer shelf-life (about 4 weeks) and are all-purpose potatoes.
They have a bright slightly russeted white skin with shallow eyes. The russet skin helps protects the potato from bruising, providing an excellent shelf-life.
The most popular cooking method for the Avalanche is as a boiling potato as the texture is waxy and does not disintegrate when boiled. They also make for fabulous homemade fries and mashed potatoes.
They are available at most major retailers, and nowadays bags of potatoes have to display the type of potato inside - so you can't go wrong!
Here are our Top 15 potato recipes:
1. Portuguese chicken with cheese and spinach potato bake
2. Sweet pepper, ham and cheese loaded potatoes
3. Spicy Hasselbacks
4. Creamy mushroom and potato bake
5. Rosemary and rock salt baby potatoes
6. Creamy mashed potatoes
7. The best roast chicken and ultimate roast potatoes
8. Bacon and rosemary roasted baby potatoes
11. Baby potatoes stuffed with baby spinach and tomatoes
12. Patatas Bravas
13. Potato rosti
14. Potato curry
15. Potato bake with smoked salmon, crème fraiche and chives
And you want some tips on how to perfectly crisp those roast potatoes, then watch this short video!
Tell us your favourite potato recipes in the comments below.
- Cathrine Shone