The piquant pepper, aka the "peppadew", is the world's newest fruit. Although the original 'peppadew' was born in Central America, it is now exclusively farmed in the Northern Province, where it is grown by contracted farmers, including a black women's empowerment group.
The tangy, bite-sized fruit, 'peppa' is for bite/hot and 'dew' for freshness/cool, is now bottled and exported around the world. Peppadew (peppadew is a registered brand name) sauces are also becoming more popular for their hot yet tangy-sweet taste in place of purely chilli pepper.
Peppadews can be used in literally thousands of ways. In salads, stews, marinades, dips, egg dishes, with chicken, cheese, roast meat and even in sandwiches and as garnishes.
5 things to do with peppadews:
1. Butternut and peppadew tartlets
2. Broccoli, blue cheese and sun-dried peppadew pizza
3. Chicken and peppadew wraps
4. Peppadew, cheese and pineapple kebabs
5. Stuffed cherry tomatoes or peppadews