I do wraps for dinner often during the summer months. A whole meal rolled into one, what’s not to love?
Not only are they quick and easy to prepare after a tiresome day at work, they are generally healthy and also a nice change from a “full on” plate of food.
I admit that I tend to go into autopilot making the same uninspired chicken wrap every week that I need to remind myself to get creative. If you find yourself in “wrap rut”, you’re in the right place. Let’s get inspired!
10 top tips and ideas
1. Wraps freeze well, just thaw them out and heat up. I always have a pack or two in the freezer. Make juicy wraps with left over roast lamb, chicken, pork, curried mince or even bolognaise.
2. Play around with dressings and sauces: Use fresh herbs, lemon zest, infused oils or spices to flavour good quality mayonnaise, chutney and yoghurt.
3. Incorporate grains and legumes into the filling: couscous, barley, quinoa, tinned beans and lentils, brown rice to keep you fuller for longer ;-)
4. Add seeds, nuts and sprouts for extra crunch.
5. Experiment with other veggies: yes lettuce, tomato and cucumber are great but give the others a go…mange tout, peppers, sugar snap peas, julienne carrots, baby corn, red onion, spring onions etc.
6. 3 exciting chicken wrap recipes and more ideas:
grilled chicken with charred sweet corn and avocado salsa: A divine
combo. The slightly charred corn and avo salsa is a must try.
Chicken satay wraps: Chicken and satay sauce in a wrap with crunchy veggies? Yes please!
Grilled chicken and tabbouleh wraps: Succulent chicken with a flavoursome bulgar wheat salad.
Other chicken filling ideas:
Deluxe chicken wrap: grilled mini
chicken fillets, salad, avo, feta, peppadews, red onion, smoked paprika
mayo. So light and delicious.
7. Red meat ideas:
Medium rare sliced beef or ostrich steak: mayo mixed with a little truffle oil, rocket, ripe tomatoes and parmesan shavings.
Steak with cream cheese, caramelised onions, fried mushrooms and rocket.
Steak with Asian greens and sweet soya sauce dressing.
Chilli mince: with red kidney beans, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion, sour cream and guacamole.
Curried mince: with sambals - raita, cucumber and mint yoghurt and coriander chutney .
Left over shredded lamb: salads and tzatiki.
Left over bolognaise: to make sloppy Joe wraps – add grated cheddar cheese and salads.
8. Pork ideas:
Shredded, pulled or crumbed pork with coleslaw
Crispy bacon, lettuce and tomato wrap with good quality mayo
Bacon, fresh avo and feta with salads
9. Veggie ideas:
Moroccan couscous with roasted veg and chickpeas
Wilted Spinach, feta and sautéed mushrooms
3 bean salad
Roasted butternut and feta
10. Fish ideas
Smoked salmon (try the cheaper offcuts): lemony cream cheese, cucumber, avo, lettuce
Fish fingers: lemony mayo, lettuce, tomato, cucumber
Shredded smoked snoek, lemony mayo, salad
Toasted wraps: Shredded chicken with cheese and pineapple or chicken mayo with sautéed mushrooms and mozzarella. Toasted? Place filling in wrap, fold tightly closed and place in a sandwich press until toasted.
Happy wrapping everyone!
Please share your secrets in the comments below on how you make your wraps exciting.
Check out Carey Boucher Erasmus on her Bitsofcarey blog and find her on twitter @bitsofcarey
- Carey Boucher-Erasmus