Mention the words gluten-free and they’re often met with the perception of being healthy.
“Oh – the cake is gluten-free. I can eat all of it!”
Not so fast!
Even though dishes are free of gluten and wheat (which are major culprits responsible for certain medical conditions and intolerances), doesn’t mean that that they are also free of sugar, preservatives, high sodium levels etc which are – to an extent, very unhealthy.
Gluten is made up of a mixture of proteins which give food it’s elastic texture and is very useful for giving baked goods their structure – bread, pastries cakes etc. Having said that, it is possible to produce scrumptious goodies without gluten. There are loads of substitutes for flour that make gluten-free baking/cooking a doddle.
Have a look at these 7 gorgeous gluten-free desserts and see for yourself:
1. Orange pistachio cake – fragrant citrus aromas abound!
2. Chocolate macaroon cake – finished off with fresh, plump raspberries.
3. Granadilla fridge tart – a coconut base holds the creamy, tart filling that’s set in the fridge before serving.
4. Strawberry shortbread – this recipe calls for rice flour (available at any good health food store).
5. German chocolate cake - Ich liebe es! This cake has a decadent coconut and pecan filling.
6. Chocolate chip cookies – technically not a dessert but when has there ever been a bad time for a cookie?!
7. Chocolate cheesecake – tastes just like regular cheesecake.
- Tessa Purdon