You know the feeling... first the shock, and then the utter disappointment when you know your deepest, most relaxing sleep is rudely interrupted by the sound of an alarm, urging your eyelids to open and coaxing you out of your cosy bed.
Urgh. Mornings are the worst.
Waking up (or being woken) is traumatic. Let’s face it. But there’s one thing that makes it better. Breakfast!
Back in the day people would eat only eat one meal at noon. It was considered gluttonous to eat more than that. And then somewhere in the 17th or 18th Century, high class aristocrats began “breaking the night’s fast” by consuming food after they had woken up.
Thanks to the industrial revolution, all classes – rich and poor started eating a breakfast every morning because they realised that their bodies actually needed energy for a full day’s work. Thank goodness today it’s acceptable to feed your face while still wearing pyjamas. I don’t think I would be able to ‘do’ life otherwise.
These breakfasts are perfect for giving your body a little high-five hello in the AM. And the very thought of the deliciousness that smacks your taste buds in that first bite is enough to make you blast out of bed the moment you open your eyes.
1. Croissant French toast – Perhaps the most indulgent form of French toast ever? We’ll take it!
2. Spanish omelette with creamy mushrooms – cooked with potatoes for a bit of bulk. Great for days when you need energy and a clear-thinking mind (which is like, every day!)
3. Malted buttermilk waffles – Best served with a freshly brewed beverage and the Sunday papers.
4. Ultimate toasted cheese sandwich – the one to cure that hangover. No one will notice if you make a second sandwich. In fact, we encourage it!
5. Baked egg cups – adorable little individual breakfasts which make entertaining a breeze.
6. Apple and wholewheat spelt breakfast muffins - à la Bree van der Kamp. Time to expose the domestic Goddess within.
7. Huevos rancheros – for those that like a bit of spice! It’s like a Mexican fiesta in your mouth.
What's your favourite breakfast that gets you out of bed in the morning?
- Tessa Purdon
Read more on: