Baguette: "a long thin loaf of French bread" that is commonly made from basic lean dough (the dough, though not the shape, is defined by French law). It is distinguishable by its length and crisp crust.
A standard baguette has a diameter of about 5 or 6 cm and a usual length of about 65 cm, although a baguette can be up to a metre (39 in) long.
Or more simply put by Urban Dictionary: A loaf of bread that's awesome. Often classified under the categories of french pastries, or baked goods.
Some of my earliest memories of bread are of my mom cutting them open and stuffing them with cheese and ham mostly - but whatever you put in there, nothing beats biting into that crisp crust, and then meeting the soft bread and the filling inside - just making your day.
Here are some awesome baguette fillers for you to try for your next picnic. Or just whenever!
1. Filled French bacon baguette: the one with bacon and blue cheese
2. Lemon chicken baguettes: with a delicious cucumber dressing
3. Avocado baguette: with smoked chicken, goat's cheese and fresh figs
4. The Braai Gatsby: A baguette filled with your favourite ingredients
5. Beetroot and cottage cheese baguette: the healthy one
6. Creamy pepper mackerel baguette: an energy boosting lunch!
7. Leftover lamb with mint mayo: what to do with that leftover roast!
If you love a good sandwich also check out our Top 10 Sandwiches! Yum!
Let us know your favourite baguette fillers in the comments below!
- Cathrine Shone