Cottage cheese is one of those strange food items that can almost always be found in someone's fridge, along with eggs and store-bought mayo. Sadly though it's got the reputation of being pretty boring. Perhaps this is because its taste is somewhat "neutral" and some would even say, "bland" in comparison to some of the more interesting dips and spreads now available.
The great thing about this though is that cottage cheese lends itself to be used in many different ways and with a variety of flavours Below are just some ideas:
1. Toss together cubed and seeded watermelon, diced cucumber and a few sliced spring onions. Top with chunky cottage cheese for a quick salad.
2. Grill chicken breast fillets on the braai, slice and combine with shredded lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and chive-flavoured chunky cottage cheese.
3. Make baby quiches to take along on a picnic. Cover the bases of pre-baked pastry crusts with chopped onion, chopped ham, sliced yellow pepper and pieces of fresh asparagus. Cover with a mixture of 2 large eggs, 100 ml creamed smooth cottage cheese and 50 ml milk. Bake until set.
4. Bake potatoes, wrapped in foil, among the coals of your braai. Mix together smooth cottage cheese, a dash of crushed garlic and freshly chopped basil. Dollop on top of the baked potatoes and sprinkle with a little crisp, fried bacon.
5. Toast slices of Italian bread over the coals, top with chunky cottage cheese, smoked mussels or oysters and a sprinkling of snipped chives or fresh parsley. Serve as a snack while you wait for the meat to cook.