Try this 'wow' egg recipe on smashed avo and crispy strips of salty bacon.
- If I consider how much I love poached eggs and how often I make them, this recipe, whilst extremely basic, is fairly revolutionary.
Time saver to change your life
It has saved me so much time. I have told a few people about this ‘quick microwave egg poaching technique’ and some have said it has ‘changed their life’.
I do love poaching eggs the traditional way in slightly acidulated (acid added like lemon/vinegar) water, but when I’m making myself a quick breakfast, it is hardly worth all the effort to heat a deep pot of water to poach one egg.
A great way to have them is on smashed avo, and I love rye bread toast. But feel free to have them just how you like them.
How to make this quick meal - see the delicious GALLERY of how to do this.
- They have to be free-range and fresh.
- It is imperative to grease the ramekin or teacup that you make the eggs in, otherwise the eggs will stick.
- If you are worried about additional calories, you can drop a teaspoon or two of water into the bottom before breaking the egg, or spray lightly with a cooking spray.
- I love to use my own home-made smoked chilli infused oil. It gives the egg a slight kick which I love. Olive oil or other herb infused oils work wonderfully too.
Thyme and eggs are a perfect partner and I sprinkle a few leaves over my eggs. I use dried if I don’t have fresh and enjoy dill with them too.
The toast and the timing:
Get the toast going before you put the eggs in the microwave because it takes longer.
Follow these steps for this deliciously quick meal - check out the beautiful gallery
1. Put the toast in the toaster
2. Grease the ramekin or cup
3. Break the egg and season
4. Cover with cling film allowing a small gap of air
5. Take the toast out the toaster
6. Cut the avo
7. Place the egg in the microwave for 30 seconds (you can go an extra 5 if you want it well done)
8. Smash the avo on the toast and season with loads of salt and pepper
9. Take the egg out the microwave and place on the avo toast and voila, you have a nearly instant and super healthy breakfast that is packed with flavour.
10. Add slices of crispy fried dry cured bacon to take this up a notch and splash a few drops of hot sauce if you like it like that.
Follow these steps in the gallery of mouth-watering pics.
Check out drizzleanddip on our blogs. Follow Sam on Twitter on @drizzleanddip and @food24.