Hopefully we’ve all received the opportunity at one point or another to experience a good cupcake. There’s nothing quite like it. Some say the cupcake originated before muffin tins were available. The cakes were baked in small individual cups or moulds - hense the word “cupcake”. And do you know what cupcake is in Afrikaans? Kolwyntjie. Could you get any more adorable or cuter than that?!
In the last 10 years, these miniature baked treats have taken on gourmet status with many a trendoid brandishing bespoke boxes of cupcakes from speciality cupcake shops. Do you remember when we wrote about the world’s most expensive cupcake – that had 23 carat edible gold?
You see, when it comes to cupcakes, the flavour and topping options are limitless. Here are some of Food24’s top cupcake recipes that everyone deserves to know about.
1. Gingerbread cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream
2. Soft serve cupcakes
3. Malva pudding cupcakes
4. Lemon and vanilla cupcakes
5. Chocolate Guinness cupcakes
6. Apple pie cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream
7. Sticky toffee vanilla cupcakes
8. Coconut cupcakes
9. Pumpkin, orange and poppy seed cupcakes
10. Strawberry and white chocolate cupcakes
11. Blue cheese cupcakes
12. Peanut butter choc chip cupcakes
13. Black Forest cupcakes
14. Flourless peanut butter cupcakes
15. Mojito cupcakes
16. Rose water and raspberry ice cream cupcakes
17. Red velvet cupcakes
What’s your favourite cupcake?
Find more fun baking recipes here, as well as 5 things that can happen when your cake flops.
- Tessa Purdon