Gone are the days when eating like a student involved consuming cereal for dinner, munching (about-to-go-stale) chip rolls or slurping up MSG-loaded 2 Minute Noodles.
Nowadays – with such a large focus on health and nutrition, young adults are more well-informed about the food choices they make. Thanks to the internet and all the great food apps that are available, resources for cooking healthy, nutrient, energy-dense food are plentiful.
We know it’s not easy cooking a balanced meal when lectures and social activities take up the bulk of your time but we’ve created a list of warming dishes that are perfect for busy students on a budget. Not only do they pack a flavour punch, but they’ll keep you full for ages! You can even double the recipes and save leftovers for the next day.
1. Beef cottage pie - this one comes with cauli-mash.
2. One pan wonder - the name says it all.
3. 30 minute vegetable chilli dish - chilli con carne - but without the meat.
4. Chicken vegetable and noodle soup - this will fix you right up!
5. Ultimate sweet potato spuds - you can substitute the sour cream with Greek yoghurt.
6. Zesty fish fingers - add a bit of chilli powder for some kick!
7. Easy beef stew - it's the perfect Winter warmer.
8. Chickpea fritters - this could take a bit of practice to perfect.
9. Chicken and sausage hotpot - ready to eat in half an hour!
10. Spiced sausage and mushroom gnocchi - this one will impress any guest you have popping in for dinner.
11. Creamy chicken and veg bake - perfect for a rainy night in.
12. Sweet potato, mushroom and onion breakfast hash - would make a perfect easy supper too!
13. Angelfish pie - who can resist a fish pie?
14. Spaghetti with chicken, mushrooms and zucchini - you should have a go-to pasta favourite in your arsenal.
15. Easy beef enchiladas - when that Mexican food craving hits.
And for a snack in-between meals try these yummy homemade veggie crisps.
Also - WATCH: how to make a toasted cheese and ham panini with an iron because you know... student life!
Show us your meal on Instagram using the hashtag #Food24_sa
- Cathrine Shone