Tarts date back to medievel times and can be found in many Western countries. Americans would refer to them as pies, but in SA and the UK a tart is a tart and in France its a tarte. They really are one of the most versatile dishes and can be super easy to prepare if you're expecting a crowd.
Tarts today have various off-shoots like the well-liked quiche and the flan.
Tarts are super handy for entertaining friends, because they're easy to serve and can go a long way with a generous filling - or one can make individual tartlets for each guest.
Here are some savoury and sweet tarts to try at home:
A little sweetness
1. Tasty chocolate toffee apple tarts
2. Chocolate orange tarts (no-bake)
3. Salted chocolate caramel tarts
4. Granadilla and lime tarts
Some savoury tarts
5. Roasted tomato and labneh tarts
6. Bobotie tarts
7. Mushroom tarts
8. Brie, fennel and tomato tarts
9. Tarts with figs, Gorgonzola and Parma ham
10. Courgette, mint and feta tarts
11. Phyllo-pastry Salmon tarts
- Mandy Blankenberg