We all refer to the butternut as a vegetable, but in actual fact it is a fruit even though we treat it like a vegetable, and certainly don't eat it raw.
With a nuttier flavour than that of pumpkin the butternut is a winner as a side dish, especially the classic boiled/roasted butternut with a sprinkle of cinnamon over the top, which is a combination that is nostalgic for many of us. But that is not all the orange fruit is good for, there are so many other dishes in which you can incorporate the butternut includeing soups, stews, dessert, pastas and bakes.
Try one of our hearty butternut recipes:
1. Roast butternut and Swiss chard barley risotto
2. Roast butternut and lentil bobotie
3. Thai butternut and coriander soup
4. Roasted butternut falafel
5. Gluten-free butternut lasagne
6. Butternut and sweet potato gnocchi
7. Coriander roasted butternut
8. Butternut and onion au gratin
9. Butternut and cinnamon fritters10. Butternut ”linguine” with blue cheese sauce, crispy bacon and sage 11. Quick ravioli with butternut, rocket and pine-nut filling
- Jade Lawrence