Many people claim to be "non-bakers". preferring to steer clear of measuring scales, sugar thermometers and any recipe containing the word "proof" in it.
I'm lucky to have grown up in a household where every weekend away or happy celebration involved a layered chocolate sponge cake. My mom was, and still is one of the best bakers I know. I think her secret lies in the fact that she is a whiz with baking equivalents and can convert (just off the top of her head) any imperial volume or weight measurement into metric and vice versa.
Luckily the cake recipes below are all metric and if you follow each step of the recipes, the end result should be one that impresses you and all who are fortunate enough to taste your wonderful creation.
Here are 10 cake recipes that are sure to make anyone weak at the knees.
1. Dark chocolate and coconut ganache cake
2. Caramel Peppermint Crisp cake
3. Chocolate and whiskey brownie cake
4. Banana bread cake with peanut butter frosting
5. Ferreror Rocher and hazelnut liqueur ice cream cake
6. Granadilla yoghurt cake
7. Luxe chocolate cake with chocolate macarons
8. Apricot and thyme upside down cake
9. Chocolate macaroon cake
10. Lemon curd and coconut cake
Also see: Top cake decorating trends you need to know about and 5 things that can happen when your cake flops
- Tessa Purdon
Read more on: