Mince - also known as ground beef/pork/lamb/ostrich etc is a staple meat in many households across SA. It’s easy to cook, goes a long way (unless you’re feeding a growing rugby player) and is a firm family favourite. Throw in the fact that it freezes well and can be used in a multitude of different ways... it’s really the most underrated ingredient out there.
Stuck for ideas when you put the next pack of mince in your trolley? Here are 7 meals ideas for inspiration:
1. Spaghetti Bolognaise – let’s start with the humble Spag Bol. Add a generous handful of Parmesan and serve with a green salad for ultimate homemade happiness.
2. Cottage pie pots – these little individual servings are great to make in advance. In breaking with tradition, sweet potato is used for the topping – giving the dish a lower GI and lower carb content. Banting thumbs up!
3. Classic Moussaka – A traditional Greek aubergine and mince bake. A must-try.
4. Burgers – if you don’t like or eat burgers… I’m not quite sure what to say to you.
5. Chilli Con Carne – also known simply as ‘chilli’ in the USA. This hearty mince stew is great for Winter evenings. Take leftovers to work for lunch the next day and your colleagues will be begging you to share!
6. Lamb kofta on rosemary skewers – another Greek favourite. These little kebabs are great for entertaining, served with some homemade tzatziki.
7. Meatballs – no introduction needed. Here are 20 ways to make magic with them.
What are your favourite recipes using mince?