The awards ceremony for the Top 5 Olive Oil awards for 2016 was held at Tokara wine and olive estate in late September. Guests were welcomed at the Tokara Deli and given the opportunity to taste the ten contenders for the sought-after awards. Although only five would be selected as the best of the best, all ten oils had to achieve top scores at the SA Olive Awards earlier in the year in order to be nominated.
ALSO READ: 5 Myths about olive oil you need to stop believing
The ten nominated oils were:
• Andante EVOO, Gabriëlskloof EVOO
• Greenleaf EVOO
• Kransfontein Coratina EVOO
• Marbrin Olive Growers Directors Reserve EVOO
• Marbrin Olive Growers Intense EVOO
• Marbrin Olive Growers Medium EVOO
• River Press EVOO
• Spar Authentic EVOO
• Willow Creek Directors’ Reserve EVOO
After tasting the ten oils and enjoying drinks and snacks we made our way over to Tokara restaurant for an amazing olive oil inspired lunch designed by chef Richard Carstens.
To start we enjoyed a tomato sorbet with white balsamic olive oil dressing and goat’s cheese. Mains was a choice between fire-roasted beef, cauliflower and gruyere puree, broccoli with tomato and olive or line fish with pomme puree, broccoli, radish salsa and crayfish cream.
Dessert was a marvellous creation of vanilla mousse, ginger ice cream, olive oil cake with lemon, olive oil and meringue shard.
MAKE THESE: Olive oil espresso choc chip cookies
After presentations from the sponsors and the SA Olive Association, which managed the awards, the top five oils were announced:
• Kransfontein Coratina EVOO from Kransfontein Estate
• Willow Creek Director’s Reserve EVOO from Willow Creek
• Marbrin Olive Growers Intense EVOO from Marbrin Farm
• Greenleaf EVOO by The Greenleaf Olive Company
• Gabrielskloof EVOO by Gabrielskloof Wine & Olive Estate
Keep an eye out for these oils at your local retailer or make a plan to visit the farms if you’re in the area.
South African olive oil ranks among the best in the world. Don’t waste your money buying inferior imported olive oils, rather support the local industry and reap the health and taste benefits of a good quality product.
Click HERE to find out more about olive oil and the South African olive industry.
WATCH THIS: Everything you need to know about olive oil
Follow Relax with Dax on Twitter | Instagram | Facebook