The culinary event that cares is back! In September this year, renowned international chefs will descent on Johannesburg to cook alongside South Africa’s finest talent in aid of charity in the annual ‘Chefs who Share – the ART of Giving’ event.
This is the first time that this exciting concept, consisting of a series of events, takes to South Africa’s City of Gold, and, according to the co-founder of the event, Barbara Lenhard, “It promises to be a culinary and creative showcase that will take Johannesburg by storm”.
The series of events includes the participation of Swiss Chef Reto Mathis from Mathis Food Affairs, UK-based Indian Michelin-starred Chef Vineet Bhatia, German Chef Anton Schmaus from Restaurant Storstad, and Mauritius-based Chef Vincent Rodier from LUX* Resorts and Hotels.
These kitchen heroes will be joined by the cream of the crop of South African chefs for a series of special evenings, starting 19 September and culminating in the black-tie Grand Gala on 24 September. At this highlight, the 14 top chefs will lend their time and creativity to, in seven teams, create culinary wonders for 252 guests only.
Local culinary stars who will participate this year include Margot Janse from the Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais, Rudi Liebenberg from the Mount Nelson Hotel, Chris Erasmus from Foliage, Candice Philip from the Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa, Dirk Gieselmann from the Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff and Chef Christo Pretorius from The Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa, as well as Jason Millar and Ronald Ramsamy, both with Sun International. The seven teams create unique individual menus, which will be expertly paired with the best South African wines as selected by the seven acclaimed local sommeliers.
On the evening of the Grand Gala, works donated by renowned local and international artists, as well as once-off, unique experiences, will be live auctioned. “This auction is traditionally an absolute highlight and the generosity of guests is what makes the difference,” says Lenhard.
Through the successful events of the previous three years held in Cape Town, a total of R6,1 Million was raised. Charities that will benefit from funds raised this year, include The Veggie Box Initiative, MAD Leadership Foundation and the Click Foundation.
Sponsors of ‘Chefs who Share – the ART of Giving’ 2016 are Deutsche Bank, Swiss International Air Lines, Bulgari, Frey Chocolate, the Century City Conference Centre as well as hospitality partner Sun International who are the pillars of this concept. Product partners Moët & Chandon, Wine Essentials, Hausbrandt and San Pellegrino/Acqua Panna support as well the cause.
2016 Calendar of Events:
• Monday, 19 September: Opening Function: Art Preview cocktail evening at The Maslow
• Tuesday, 20 September: ‘Chefs who Share’ Dom Pérignon dinner at the Four Seasons Hotel, The Westcliff with Dirk Gieselmann and UK-based Indian Michelin-starred Chef Vineet Bhatia (Tickets for sale)
• Wednesday, 21 September: ‘Chefs who Share’ Moët & Chandon dinner at the Maslow with Jason Millar and an international top chef (Tickets for sale)
• Thursday, 22 September: ‘Chefs who Share’ Ruinart Blanc dinner at the Saxon Hotel, Villas & Spa with Candice Philip and Swiss Chef Reto Mathis from Mathis Food Affairs (Tickets for sale)
• Friday, 23 September: Chefs and volunteers cook with the Veggie Box Initiative for a community project
• Saturday, 24 September: Grand Gala at the Johannesburg City Hall – Only 252 tickets available at R3 000 per person
For more information on ‘Chefs who Share – The ART of Giving’ 2016, visit www.chefswhoshare.com. For ticket sales and/or enquiries, e-mail email@example.com
Read more on: