Heart Mark products contribute towards healthy eating and better cardiovascular health through their composition of less “bad” nutrients and more of the “good” nutrients.
This means products contain:
South Africans consume too much salt, and therefore too much sodium which contributes to high blood pressure.
LESS TOTAL FATS
Limiting intake of bad fats (saturated fats, trans fats) helps reduce cholesterol levels and eating fats sparingly works towards better weight control.
LESS ADDED SUGAR
Helps maintain a healthy weight and prevent diabetes.
MORE FIBRE (where applicable)
Is important for a healthy digestive system, maintaining healthy weight and avoiding heart disease and cancers.
Remember that when preparing meals with Heart Mark approved products, be sure to use cooking oils, salt and sugar sparingly.
Sea Harvest has developed a range of Heart Mark approved products and recipes to help you prepare meals that your heart will love! Put these delicious recipes on your family’s ‘healthy living menu’.
Try these examples of heart healthy recipes:
Kingklip with linguine - a beautiful dish with simple but bold flavours.
Hake fillets with vegetable medley - the fish speak for itself in this fresh, clean recipe.
Hake and nori wraps - a stunning Asian inspired dish with style.
Choosing the Heart Mark can only be good for you and your family. It is one small simple change, yet one that carries huge benefits.
Smart health tips from the Heart and Stroke Foundation SA
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet including a variety of foods.
2. Enjoy heart-friendly fish as part of your diet at least twice a week.
3. Include at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
4. Eat fats sparingly, limiting ‘bad’ fats and including more ‘good’ fats in your diet.
5. Make wholegrain, high-fibre starchy foods part of most meals.
6. Limit the intake of refined and sugary foods/drinks. Drink plenty of water every day.
7. Have at least 2 servings of low fat milk/dairy products every day.
8. Use salt sparingly.
9. Drink alcohol only in moderation. Don’t smoke!
10. Get regular physical activity.