Summer eating is all about spending as little time as possible in front of a hot stove. Celebrate the zesty, fruity, fresh flavours of the season with these recipes.
Summer Top 10 recipes
1. Marina's ostrich carpaccio - few things say "al fresco eating" better than a plate of chilled wafer-thin slices of meat and fresh crusty bread to mop up the juices.
2. Crustless red onion and mushroom quiche - enjoy this lighter version of quiche with a crunchy green salad.
3. Low-fat chicken enchiladas - spiced juicy chicken, rolled in tortillas and baked in white sauce. What's not to love?
4. Rocket salad with fillet, gorgonzola and pasta - Serving fillet in this way is not just delicious, it also makes a little of this expensive cut go far.
5. Yellowtail with olive and herb sauce - a deliciously fragrant olive and herb sauce that will perk up any firm white fish or even grilled chicken breast.
6. Cornbread - a great recipe to have in your repertoire of braai side dishes. Really delicious with a chunky guacamole too.
7. Braaied Snoek - Toss piping hot baby potatoes with thinly sliced red onion, olive oil and a glug of cider vinegar for a zingy side dish that goes with anything on the braai.
8. Lamb chops with salsa verde - a smashed green herb and olive oil sauce that keeps well and takes grilled meats to another level.
9. Speedy strawberry and white chocolate ice-cream - you don't need an ice-cream machine for this ultimate summer indulgence.
10. Low-fat creme caramel - silky and luxurious, serve this perfect make-ahead pud with fresh berries.
- Aletta Lintvelt