- Cape Town, 16 November 2014 -
20 restaurants were nominated last month, and last night at the glittering Mercedes-Benz Eat Out Awards ceremony in Cape Town, the Top 10 restaurants in South Africa were revealed.
The Top 10 Eat Out restaurants in South Africa for 2014 are:
1. The Test Kitchen - the 3rd year in a row for Luke and his team!
2. Five Hundred - 2nd in 2013's top 10.
3. The Tasting Room - came in at number 9 in 2013.
4. Mosaic - nominated in 2012 but was excluded in 2013.
5. Jordan - came in at number 6 in 2013.
6. Overture - came in at number 7 in 2013
7. Rust en Vrede - placed number 3 in 2013
8. DWEleven13 - nominated in 2013.
9. The Restaurant at Newton Johnson (NEW)
10. Terroir - was absent from last year's nominations
Also participating in the ceremony were the four judges, who worked alongside Eat Out editor and chief judge Abigail Donnelly to determine the winners.
The judges for the 2014 awards were; Editor of Women's Health Kate Wilson; Celebrity chef Reuben Riffel, Celebrity Chef Arnold Tanzer, and consultant and owner of Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants, Andy Fenner.
Former Food24 editor and current owner of Eat.Design Caro de Waal judged the “Best of” portion of the awards.
All the winners for 2014:
Restaurant of the Year: The Test Kitchen - for the 3nd year running.
Eat Out S. Pellegrino Chef of the Year: Chantel Dartnall of Mosaic Restaurant
Rising Star: Kobus van der Merwe of Oep ve Koep
Woolworths TASTE Eat Out Bursary Award: Thozamile Mgumane
Best Everyday Eatery: Chef's Warehouse Cape Town
Best Italian Restaurant: La Sosta
Best Asian Restaurant: Kyoto Garden
Best Country-Style Restaurant: Cafe Bloom in KZN
The Eat Out Best Steakhouse Award: Local Grill in Parktown North
The Eat Out Boschendal Style Award: Equus at Cavalli Estate
The Lannice Snyman Lifetime Achievement Award in association with Paarl Media: Eduan Naudé & Brian Shalkoff
Tsogo Sun Wine Service: Patson Mathonsi, DW Eleven-13
A huge congratulations to all the winners.
- Cathrine Shone