Dreamy chocolate cheesecake
200 g (1 packet) chocolate digestive biscuits
100 g butter, melted
750 g smooth cream cheese
270 ml cream, whipped
100 g dark chocolate, melted
10 ml instant coffee granules or powder
15 ml gelatine
100 g milk chocolate, melted
100 g white chocolate, melted
250 g dark chocolate to decorate
1. Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and lightly pound with a rolling pin, or crush in a food processor. Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and press into a greased 20 cm spring form pan and chill.
2. Mix together 250 g of the cream cheese, 90 ml of the cream and the dark chocolate to make the bottom layer. Dissolve coffee granules or powder in 5 to 10 ml boiling water and add to the mixture.
3. Place 5 ml of the gelatine in 10 ml water and hydrate. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat until dissolved. Add to the chocolate mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the base, chill until firm. Repeat with other two layers, omitting the coffee and using milk chocolate for the middle layer and white chocolate for the top layer.
5. For the chocolate decorations, break dark chocolate into blocks and melt it in the microwave or in a double boiler. Spread it out as smoothly as possible, to about 1.5 mm thick, on a sheet of greaseproof paper or on a cool marble slab. When cool and almost set, firmly place a knife or scraper at a 45 degree angle on the chocolate and push it away from you to form rolls. Arrange the decorations on the cake and serve.
When preparing the cheesecake make sure the cream cheese and chocolate are folded in completely.
Each layer should be completely set before continuing with the next layer.
For best results use good quality cream cheese and chocolate.
This cheesecake is best eaten within two days.
To remove the cheesecake from the pan with ease, dampen a kitchen towel with warm water and place it around the outside of the pan for a few seconds. Release the cheesecake as usual. If it appears to be sticking to the sides, apply the warm towel for a few more seconds.
To save time make the chocolate decorations the day before. Store in a cool, dry place until ready to use.
Drizzle melted dark chocolate over the finished cheesecake instead of making chocolate shavings.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Recipe by Ideas