Romanian cellarmaster, Razvan has been at the helm of Nederburg for almost ten years now. During that time, he has revolutionised the business and has restored it to its former glory, winning international recognition and acclaim for SA's premier wine brand. He has been particularly successful in winning accolades and awards for his sweet wines, but his real interest is in innovation and experimentation. Cathy Marston pinned him down at the Nederburg Auction (read her thoughts here) and put him through the mill!
1. The 36th Nederburg Auction was held last weekend – how was it for you?
The best Nederburg Auction since 2006. It was 'back to basics' where good wine took centre stage.
Fantastic people and relaxed atmosphere, good weather with great views of the mountains.
2. What’s your favourite restaurant wine list?
Bosman's Restaurant at the magnificent Grande Roche in Paarl.
3. Blends or straight varietals – which do you prefer?
Blends. I love blending...it feels like a painter surrounded by colours or a composer by music notes. Seriously! By blending you are creating a wine which is better than the individual components.
4. Favourite red for long cold winter evenings?
Our 'Italian' red blend, the Ingenuity Red, made from Sangiovese, Barbera and Nebbiolo (RRP R225).
5. Favourite white for chilled out sundowners on the stoep?
The Nederburg Winemaster's Reserve Riesling (RRP R43). Check out this wine on this month's Vin-atics menu!
6. Favourite bubbly for celebrations?
The Pongracz Pinot Noir Rose (RRP R85).
7. ‘Must-try before I die’ wine?
The Nederburg Edelkeur Noble Late Harvest 1977 (sold on the auction for approx R1,400 per 6 bottle case)
8. If I could rid the wine world of just one thing it would be……..
I don't like to 'over complicate' wine consumption...it scares people!
...simply enjoy a good glass of wine!
9. What’s the one wine experience which most sticks in your mind?
Receiving the Trophy for the Best Shiraz at the IWSC in London - 2007.
The winning wine was the Nederburg Manor House Shiraz 2005 (current vintage, 2008 - RRP R108)
10. Most impressive stunt or activity carried out whilst under the influence?
The rebuilding of the Nederburg Cellar (2002-2004) and the launch of the Ingenuity range.
11. What did you drink last night?
I had a glass of the Nederburg Winemaster's Reserve Chenin Blanc 2008 (RRP R46)...went very well with dinner.
12. Hot wine tip for the future?
Barrel-fermented Sauvignon blanc
13. Favourite food and wine combo
Noble Late Harvest with blue cheese, ripe figs and walnuts.
14. Best wine-induced hangover cure?
Hangover...never had one...
Sleep late the next day (if you can).