The Platter Wine Guide 5 Star awards for 2012 are released today to coincide with the WOSA tasting in London. 45 wines have been awarded 5 stars (down from 58 last year) with the biggest category being red blends – a reverse of last year when white blends topped the list.
Biggest winners this year are Boekenhoutskloof with top honours going to three of their wines (Syrah 09, Cabernet Sauvignon 09 and NLH Semillon 08), Swartland winery Mullineux Family Wines who gain 5 stars for their entire top range (Syrah 2009, White Blend 2010 and Straw Wine 2010) and Nederburg (Edelkeur 2010, Eminence 2010 and Ingenuity White 2010). Nederburg were Winery of the Year last year, and depending on how well the likes of Wolftrap and Porcupine Ridge do in the Superquaffer section, my money would be on Boekenhoutskloof to take that title when it’s announced in November.
A few wines seem to be permanent fixtures in the 5 star stakes – Fleur du Cap NLH 2010 now into its fifth consecutive year and the two giants of the Port-world, De Krans and Boplaas also winning again – but there are some refreshing new names there as well. First time 5 Stars go to Mont Destin for their Destiny Shiraz, Colmant for their Brut Chardonnay and new winery Fable (formerly Tulbagh Mountain Vineyards, now owned by ex-Screaming Eagle MD, Charles Banks) for their Jackal Bird 2010, amongst others.
One winery which can’t put a foot wrong at the moment is the KWV and the well-deserved 5 Stars for their Mentors Grenache Blanc 2010, coming hot on the heels of being the most successful winery ever at the Veritas awards, must surely put paid to any suggestions that they cannot produce wines of the very highest quality. Interesting as well to see this very niche variety now producing a second 5 star wine in a row (following on from The Foundry last year).
Notable omissions? No gongs for Kanonkop or Vergelegen this year, nor for Cape Point, Hamilton Russell, Le Riche, Woolworths or De Trafford. And considering all the buzz around South African Chardonnay this year, it's a bit surprising/disappointing to only see 2 wines getting 5 stars. I'm sure wineries such as Paul Cluver and Chamonix must feel the same.
But on the flip side, it is good to see some first-timers from last year proving they aren’t just one-hit wonders with Newton Johnson Domaine Pinot Noir 2009 getting 5 stars for a third and Topiary Blanc de Blancs Brut 2009 for a second time in a row. And a final, personal favourite – great to see a Cabernet Franc in the top ranks as well. Many congrats to all winners and I look forward to tasting them shortly.
For full media release, go to www.wineonaplatter.com
Platter 5 Star Wines for 2012.
• Warwick 2008
• Boekenhoutskloof 2009
• Graham Beck Chalkboard #3 2007
• Stark-Condé Three Pines 2009
• Cape Chamonix Reserve 2010
• Newton Johnson Domaine 2010
• Oak Valley 2009
• Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2009
• Fairview The Beacon 2008
• Mont Destin Destiny 2007
• Mullineux Family Syrah 2009
• Saxenburg Select 2007
• Bouchard Finlayson Hannibal 2010
• De Toren Fusion V 2009
• Glenelly Lady May 2009
• La Motte Pierneef Shiraz-Viognier 2009
• Meerlust Rubicon 2007
• Miles Mossop Max 2008
• Sadie Family Columella 2009
• De Wetshof The Site 2009
• Jordan CWG Auction Reserve 2010
• Beaumont Hope Marguerite 2010
• Diemersfontein Carpe Diem 2010
• Vins d’Orrance Kama 2010
• KWV Mentors 2010
• Graham Beck Pheasants’ Run 2011
• Hermanuspietersfontein No 5 2010
• Kleine Zalze Family Reserve 2010
• Steenberg CWG Auction Reserve The Magus 2010
• Strandveld 2010
• Fable Jackal Bird 2010
• Flagstone CWG Auction Reserve Happy Hour 2009
• Mullineux White Blend 2010
• Nederburg Ingenuity 2010
• Tokara Director’s Reserve 2010
Méthode Cap Classique Sparkling
• Colmant Brut Chardonnay NV
• Topiary Blanc de Blancs Brut 2009
• Badsberg Badslese 2009
Dessert Wine Unfortified
• Boekenhoutskloof Noble Late Harvest 2008
• Fleur du Cap Noble Late Harvest 2010
• Mullineux Family Straw Wine 2010
• Nederburg Edelkeur 2010
• Nederburg Eminence 2010
• Boplaas Family Cape Vintage Reserve 2009
• De Krans Cape Vintage Reserve 2009
What do you think of this list? Any wines you would have liked to have seen included? Any wines which you think don't deserve 5 stars? Tell us below.