Every now and again in this life, words, thoughts and circumstance will come together in a perfect storm, reach a tipping point and result in profound pearls of wisdom. This is not one of those times.
The gems below were mined by wise men, and women, at the bottom of a bottle or three of fine ale. These words may have been simply floating past on rivers of beer and were then plucked out of ether. However it happened, you can be sure that whichever sage spoke these truths, they did so with an ice-cold beer in hand, and a smile from ear to ear.
As far as quotes go, when one begins with “To quote the great…” it doesn’t usually end in “Homer Simpson!” unless you are in a room full of beer-lovers. There are hundreds of great beer-quotes out there, one for each and every occasion, and so here are a few of our favourites. Use them wisely… or not.
1. “He is a wise man who invented beer.” Plato
2. “Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. It will teach you to keep your mouth shut.” Ernest Hemingway.
3. “ Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.” Arnold Schwarzenegger
4. “Life is too short to drink cheap beer.” Anon
5. “Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.” Dave Barry
6. “Work is the curse of the drinking classes.” Oscar Wilde
7. “What care I how time advances, I am drinking ale today.” Edgar Allan Poe
8. “Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson
9. “I work until beer o'clock.” Stephen King
10. “You can’t be a real country without a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.” Frank Zappa
11. “Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.” Henry Lawson
12. “But that’s only really one in dog beers.” Anon
13. “ I am not addicted to beer… It’s addicted to me.” Cyanide & Happiness
14. “Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another beer.” WC Fields
And our top three…
15. “Beer… now there’s a temporary solution!” Homer Simpson
16. “Beer. The best damn drink in the world!” Jack Nicholson
17. “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin
That last one is actually the most famous beer misquote in history. Old Ben was actually talking about vineyards at the time, but I’ll tell you what… he ain’t far off and we’ll take it!
Written by: Beer Country,
two of the thirstiest guys on the planet - Greg and Karl. Follow their
fire-side journey as they crack open the brew culture of South Africa,
discovering awesome beers and cooking great food along the way. This
hoppy adventure is coming soon to a TV near you!
- Beer Country